WE'RE YOUR GEAR REPAIR EXPERTS
We've been repairing your most important and most loved gear for more than a decade.
Technical Equipment Cleaners is owned by Daniel and Andrea, two long-time Tahoe residents and even longer time outdoor enthusiasts who love to clean and repair outdoor clothing – reuse and recycle!
After moving to Lake Tahoe in the late ’90s, Daniel graduated with a degree in entrepreneurship and a desire to start a company based around his passions. After spending season after season learning to repair and re-waterproof his own outdoor gear, he started offering his service to friends and family. Eventually, he kicked his plan into high gear and opened TEC Tahoe in 2006 with a goal of serving outdoor athletes and maintaining the equipment needed for optimal performance in a variety of mountain sports.
Andrea is native to California and grew up exploring the wonders of Lake Tahoe – so she moved here to become a ski instructor as soon as she finished high school. Many years later, after a decade in professional event planning, she found a passion for helping people keep their gear tuned for the activities they love. She’s always happy to make recommendations on any kind of technical gear and advise on how to best repair outdoor clothing.
Holli and Olivia are the shop dogs who you’ll usually find running around behind the desk. They’re always available for anyone who wants to come give them a pet or two!
Our method to repair outdoor clothing:
Daniel started Technical Equipment Cleaners to repair outdoor gear after realizing how often he was repairing his own gear and how ineffective most DIY methods were for repairing and restoring gear. Some products, like rewaterproofing solutions, can be bought and used at home – but they don’t last very long, and they’re not always as effective as they should be. Daniel began to learn about gear repair, from the science behind waterproofing to the best ways to wash and restore migrating or dirty sleeping bag insulations. As a serious outdoor enthusiast himself, he knows how expensive outdoor gear can be and always wants to repair – not replace – whenever possible.
Everyone’s gear is different, with different stains, different amounts of use, and different problems – so there’s no ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach to repairs or cleanings. That’s why every piece of clothing or gear receives custom servicing: a jacket may need multiple washings with hand-on stain treatment in-between, or a sleeping bag may need various types of stitching across its fabric to ensure it gets restored to its full insulated ability. Andrea and Daniel personally manage every repair to save you money, reduce waste, and most importantly, extend the life of your gear.
Technical Equipment Cleaners has 100% five-star reviews on Yelp.
- We offer three drop zones in the north Tahoe area: Village Ski Loft in Incline Village, Alpenglow Sports in Tahoe City, and Granite Chief in Truckee.
- Our drop zones have a four-item minimum requirement for a scheduled pickup. Under 4 items may require a minimum charge and will be subject to a longer turnaround time as pickup days will vary. See us at our storefront in Truckee if you require a shorter turnaround.
- We’ll call or email you with an estimate, and you can either pay with us over the phone or pay on-site at the drop zone.
- We accept all items and typically have a 7 day turn-around time. Repairs may require 2-3 weeks depending on season.
- You can pick up at our shop, have us ship it back to you, or pick it up from the same drop-off location.